Warehouse Execution System Software - WES
Orchestrate and Optimize Order Fulfillment with a Powerful Warehouse Execution System for Automated and Non-Automated Distribution Centers
After years of only incremental advances in warehouse software capabilities, Softeon delivers a step-change in technology, with a new Warehouse Execution System (WES) solution that simulates, optimizes and orchestrates order picking and replenishment beyond what is available even in leading Warehouse Management Systems.
Softeon's WES system comes seamlessly integrated with its own powerful WMS solution, yet it can easily work with any existing WMS to deliver double-digit productivity gains while improving throughput and customer service. With Softeon warehouse excution system, you will be able to close the gap between theoretic throughput of a DC and actual results – all while meeting demand at the least possible operating cost in both automated and non-automated DCs.
What is a Warehouse Execution System?
Softeon WES system is an extension of our Warehouse Management System, available as an integrated Warehouse Management and Execution System, or as a standalone Warehouse Execution solution, implemented on top of an existing WMS.
The Softeon Warehouse Execution Software provides:
- Real-Time Visibility to Throughput, Bottlenecks and Events
- Advanced, Configurable Optimization for Order Batching, Release, Picking andReplenishment
- Direct Management and Optimization of Picking Sub-Systems (Voice, Smart Carts, Pick-to-Light, Put Walls, Mobile Robots, etc.)
- Workload Balancing to Maximize Equipment Utilization and Flow
- Automated Order Release Based on Service Commitment, Shipping Schedules and Real-Time Condition Monitoring
- A Single System to Manage and Control Fulfillment Across the D.C.
- Use of Simulation to Plan, Re-plan and Allocate Resources
Want to learn more about WES Software or Schedule a Demo?
Benefits of Warehouse Execution System (WES)
The Softeon WES as part of a WMS implementation takes distribution efficiency and throughput to new levels of performance. As a standalone solution, the Software Warehouse Execution System can turbocharge current DC operations by sitting on top of an existing WMS to optimize order fulfillment without the need for a full warehouse management software replacement.
Critically, Softeon’s WES not only brings optimization and control for automated warehouses, it also delivers proven value in manual DCs and those with medium levels of automation - an approach that differentiates Softeon from other solution providers. WES optimizes performance in the retail, omnichannel, consumer goods, food, and wholesale distribution sectors among many others.
Advanced Warehouse Execution Functionality
Softeon is the first to provide simulation at multiple levels to analyze and improve near and longer term decision-making as part of the WMS/WES. Our Warehouse Execution System also leverages a dynamic rules engine and machine learning to make real-time decisions in a way that reduces dwell times and supports what we call "flow distribution.”
Learn More About Warehouse Execution Systems in the ARC Research Report
"Legacy perspectives on warehouse systems don’t properly address today’s available capabilities, potential benefits, and vendor options. Does your paradigm provide the clarity and insight that will support your fulfillment organization’s current operational goals and priorities? Or does it limit and distort the view of the available options and the value they deliver?"
Warehouse Execution Systems: Progress Forces a Paradigm Shift,” Clint Reiser, May 11, 2020
Warehouse Execution Software Directly Manages Picking Subsystems
Warehouse Execution Systems (WES) also natively integrates with a wide variety of picking technologies, from Voice to mobile robots, ushering in a new generation of the "smart DC." The software solution releases work to the floor with a dramatically reduced need for human intervention, moving operations towards a fully autonomous warehouse.
Softeon already uses advanced optimization to maximize picking performance using standard RF terminals. Orders are planned and released based on a variety of factors, including cartonization, order priority, inventory availability, replenishment status, opportunities for batch and cluster picking, travel distance and more.
Each of these new picking technologies referenced above has its own advantages and applications and use cases. With Softeon WES, you can easily and quickly add these technologies where appropriate with out-of-the-box software support. You can also mix-and-match technologies, such as Voice and smart carts, or lights and mobile robots, in almost any combination.
Implementation times for these systems are reduced from months to weeks - or even days. What’s more, you can generally test each technology to see the results and benefits before fully committing, such as with robots, Voice, or a single put wall to start. Softeon’s WES system extends our existing picking optimization capabilities with additional “smarts” specific to each type of sub-system. For example, some orders are better suited to go through put walls than others in the pool. Softeon WES determines how to optimally direct orders to put wall units or any other picking method to maximize efficiencies. Or consider a mobile robot that helps to manage order exceptions, such as a short pick, meeting a picker at the location for a SKU that needs replenishment and then moving automatically to the packing area with the missing SKUs for order completion and shipping.
What’s more, because this system eliminates the need for third-party software to manage these sub-systems, hardware costs are often much lower than the standard – often by more than 50%. That means Softeon customers can either achieve a higher ROI, or invest in more of this beneficial technology that was previously above their budget range.
Additional WES System Capabilities
- The ability to mix and match mobile robots from different vendors initially and over time, providing flexibility in the early stages of a dynamic vendor landscape.
- Integrating Softeon’s direct Voice solution using smart phones, phased-in as needed with any existing Voice terminals.
- Automatic integration of picking systems with packing and shipping.
- “Future proofing” your operations by acquiring a platform that allows you to easily add these and other new technologies over time.
- Uses strategic and tactical simulation to test "what if' analysis on potential DC changes and perform advanced labor planning versus demand for a particular shift or next few hours of work.
- Provides real-time visibility to throughput and bottlenecks across each processing area of the distribution center.
- Automatically releases work or order picks to the floor without human intervention, combining advanced task optimization with the consideration of shipping requirements and cut-off times to ensure demand and SLAs are met at the least possible cost.
Let’s Discuss Your WES Opportunities Today
Reach out to us via phone or web to discuss your distribution and fulfillment opportunities with one of our subject matter experts.